Thursday, December 10, 2015

Power, Privilege, and Difference by Allan G. Johnson - Reflection

Well let's start by agreeing on the fact that we've all been institutionalized since birth. Johnson relates this institutional asylum we call our way of life to a "kind of paralysis" (vii), and is sure not to leave anyone out by suggesting that "all of us are part of the problem" (vii). Well that's for damn sure because if you have even asked, or been asked, "what is your race?" Or even if you checked a box containing either of the letters M or F and never happened to think, "why is this being asked of me and/or why should it matter?" Because I have probably only a handful of times, and every other time it was like changing my underwearhabitual and redundant. It's a clear indication that we have become numb to the systemic and fundamentally devious, yet cleverly methodical social structure, which we have designed for ourselves to the benefit of few. Maybe you have naturally solved this equation some time ago, but most likely you haven't; and if you have, well what have you done about it since then? I know, it was an unfortunate ugly truth for myself. To make matters worse, I happen to be the biggest asshole in the book. According to Mr. Johnson if you're white, male, and/or heterosexual you belong behind door number one—the privileged class! Sadly he right. I cannot do anything about my situation, I just happen to be and white and heterosexual male who happens to have Christian beliefs. 


http://www.thewtc.org/Invisibility_of_Class_Privilege.pdf


Although I know that because of my classification status I will always be considered as part of the privileged class and I will have an advantage over many others who deserve to hold just as equal rights, there is still something I can do about my situation. If there's a way to help others who do not have the same opportunities and equalities as I do then the best way I can help is becoming more self-educated on the other gender, race, sexuality, and any other classification that is considered to be less fortunate than me. Unfortunately this is not something that is going to ever go away
—it has been and always will be our way of life. What we can do to make our society a better place is acknowledging the system, taking the necessary steps to self-educate, and spread your experiences and knowledge with others alike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment